I am divorcing my partner, but I can’t afford representation!
Rachel Ward 28th Feb 2020

I am divorcing my partner, but I can’t afford representation!

I am asked this question over and over in initial meetings. Often one person has been the main or sole earner and the other takes care of the home and/or the children. What does the party do, when they are no longer financially supported? How is it fair that their partner has the best representation and they are afforded none?

There is a way! Litigation funding is where a third party provides the finances to enable litigation or arbitration cases to proceed. The funding can cover all or part of your costs and is repaid at the end of proceedings.

If you haven’t heard much about litigation finance, that may change soon. The Courts are seeing a surge in people seeking to rely upon Litigation Funding.

Whether it’s divorce, cohabitation property disputes or child custody proceedings, knowing you have a solicitor you feel comfortable with, with resources to investigate financial disclosure and who is representing your best interests, can help make the whole process feel much less daunting.

If you are concerned about how you are going to pay your legal costs, including your solicitor’s fees and additional costs such as barrister or forensic accountant fees, a loan can give you peace of mind during a difficult time.

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact one of our friendly Family Solicitors at Aticus Law on 0161 641 6100- Offices in Wilmslow, Tarporley, Manchester and London.